In this article you will guided by me some tips, how to clean a bong. Bongs are an excellent way to enjoy weed, but keeping them clean is vital for preventing bacterial growth and mold. Here’s what you should do and how often. keeping your bong clean is actually a lot more important than you might think. Here’s the best method to use to get things right.
- Clean your bong once every few days, and never let old water sit in it.
- For glass bongs you’ll need isopropyl alcohol, coarse salt, a zip-lock bag, dish soap, a bottle brush or pipe cleaners, a sponge and paper towels.
- Disassemble the bong, place it in a zip-lock bag and half-fill it with isopropyl alcohol.
- Add a few tablespoons of coarse salt.
- Close the bag, cover the holes with your hands and vigorously shake it.
- Leave it with the alcohol and salt mixture for half an hour.
- Clear the alcohol out and thoroughly clean with dish soap and warm water.
- Add the stem, bowl and other components to a zip-lock bag with isopropyl alcohol, leaving them for at least 10 minutes.
- Rinse the stem, bowl and other components clean with warm water.
- Leave everything to dry.
- Only clean acrylic or plastic bongs with dish soap and water.
What You Need before cleaning your bong
You need to gather a few things before cleaning your bong:
- Isopropyl alcohol: Really, the higher the percentage the better, but anywhere above 90% is ideal.
- Coarse salt: Whether it’s table salt, Epsom salt or Himalayan salt, you need some rocky salt to help scrub the bong clean.
- A big zip-lock bag: It needs to fit your whole bong in it, but it makes the process much easier.
- Dish soap
- Bottle brush/pipe cleaner: To get down into the harder-to-reach places.
- A sponge
- Paper towels
Step 1: Disassemble Your Bong
Step 2: Half-Fill it With Alcohol
Step 3: Add Your Salt
Step 4: Seal and Shake
Step 5: Leave it to Sit
Step 6: Take Your Bong Out
Step 7: Clean it with Warm Water and Soap
Step 8: Soak the Bowl and Stem in Alcohol
Step 9: Rinse the Bowl and Stem
Step 10: Leave Everything to Dry
How To Clean a Bong Without Alcohol
- Rinse Your Bong Under The Sink
- Use Dishwasher Soap
- Use Powder Soap
As you can see, nothing beats good old hot water when it comes to cleaning your bong and you don’t necessarily need to use alcohol all the time.
How Often Should You Clean Your Bong?
Bongs should be fully cleaned every few days, on average. If you use it heavily, it’s better to clean the bong every couple of days. If you use less often but still regularly, you might be able to leave it for a week before cleaning fully. If you only use your bong occasionally, it’s better to clean the bong after a session or two so it doesn’t sit dirty for too long.
How Often Should You Change Bong Water?
Bong water should ideally be changed after each usage. However, it’s likely not such a big issue to just clean after each “session” of use, even if that involves a few bowls full.
Is it Dangerous to Smoke From a Dirty Bong?
Dirty bongs and especially unchanged, stagnant bong water are breeding grounds for bacteria and other pathogens. Inhaling anything through this water isn’t wise, for the same reason you wouldn’t eat a slice of moldy bread or drink water that has developed a “biofilm” on the top level.
If you inhale from a dirty bong, you’re risking getting an infection or some other issue. It might not be hugely likely that you will run into this type of problem (this is difficult to estimate), but it is certainly possible and so you should always keep your bong clean.